Amoxicillin 500mg is mainly known as a very useful antibiotic that can effectively help in treating (and preventing) many types of infections typically caused by bacteria.
Amoxicillin 500mg can help treat a wide array of infections, but take note that amoxicillin 500mg is only effective if the infection is of bacterial nature, which means viral infections cannot be treated with an antibacterial drug like amoxicillin 500mg. Some of the bacterial infections that amoxicillin 500mg can treat or prevent include: skin infections, acute otitis media, urinary tract infections, Lyme disease, bacterial endocarditis, Salmonella infections, pneumonia, anthrax, sickle-cell disease, infectious endocarditis prophylaxis, bacterial sinusitis, acne vulgaris, and Chlamydia infections.
Even if amoxicillin 500mg is considered generally safe for most people, there are those who are not suitable for it and in fact, a few of them should never think about taking amoxicillin 500mg. In some cases, patients are advised to take amoxicillin 500mg but only with special care. Keep in mind that if you have never taken any amoxicillin 500mg in the past, you should take into consideration your past medical history, because amoxicillin 500mg may give you more side effects than its supposed relief that it can give you.
Your doctor might only prescribe amoxicillin 500mg to you with special, monitored care or he/she might not prescribe amoxicillin 500mg to you at all if:
- You have glandular fever (it is a type of viral infection common in young adults; symptoms include fever, extreme tiredness and a sore throat)
- You have problems associated with the kidneys
- You are sensitive or you have allergies when you take drugs that are somewhat the same as amoxicillin 500mg such as cephalosporins, penicillins and other antibiotics with beta-lactam
- You are sensitive, you have allergies, or you have had an adverse reaction to any of the components in the amoxicillin 500mg medicine
- You are currently pregnant. Most drugs, in some way, can adversely affect the baby’s development while inside the womb. The effect on the baby varies depending on which medicine is being taken, what type of illness/ailment needs to be treated, and it also depends on the pregnancy stage of the mother at the time she is going to take amoxicillin 500mg. As much as possible, amoxicillin 500mg is only taken during pregnancy if deemed okay by the doctor.
- You are into contraception. Take note that if you are not ready to become pregnant, amoxicillin 500mg may render your oral contraceptive pills to be even less effective than normal. In case you think that this may affect you and your confidence in taking oral contraceptives, then it is crucial that you ask your doctor and have him/her advise you on what type of non-hormonal contraception is best suited for you while you are still taking amoxicillin 500mg for your bacterial infection problems.
In case you are not allergic to amoxicillin 500mg at all and you are okay taking it, then you must know specific instructions and follow them right to the dot. This is due to the fact that amoxicillin 500mg works better when they are taken correctly. Instructions usually are straightforward – take the right dose of the drug, for instance, amoxicillin 500mg, and do not take any extra doses as it may become harmful to you and your body.